Monday, May 25, 2009

oddworld: a tribute to the odd

"Hello."
"Hello."
"Follow me."
"Ok."

Thus was the standard interaction in what has been and always will be my favorite gaming series ever: Oddworld.

While most parents in the late 90's were concerned that video games would turn their children into gun-hungry, sex-crazed maniacs, the Oddworld series was busy at work inspiring a new, and highly odd, generation of revolutionaries.

On the surface, Oddworld's virtual experience allowed me to destroy meat packaging plants, possess terrifying native wildlife, and save entire races from extinction. However, Oddworld wasn't all fun and games, as it exposed its fans, both young and old, to major social and political issues. From environmentalism and industrial exploitation to human rights and political oppression, I have no doubt that Oddworld's weird approach towards such topics had a major impact on my fledgling mind.

But when all is said and done, what continues to be an inspiration to me are the mind-blowing creative aspects of the Oddworld series. The artistic elements of the game along with the extremely tight and thought inspiring plot progressions continue to bring me back for more.

Now, years after the series had been cancelled, it seems like there is hope for diehard fans like myself: last May, Jeff Braun, co-founder of gaming giant Maxis, announced that a new Oddworld game is in production last. Lorne Lanning, president of Oddworld Inhabitants, confirmed the statements. Unfortunately that is about all we know, and since this announcement was made over a year ago we have yet to find out any new details.

Until we do I'll continue to fire up the old school games on the PlayStation, sticking it to the man Oddworld style.

In Odd we trust,
Jeet

1 comment:

  1. Oddworld! I remember playing that on your Xbox back in the day. Definitely a game ahead of it's time.

    ReplyDelete